Monday 28 November 2011

Cambridge, from dusk to dark



Yesterday, I was walking around town with D and Chotto-ma, down the same streets that I walk every day. But everything looked different. It was winter's early dusk, and the light was tinged with blue. It was enchanting. Now, enchanting is not a word that sits comfortably with me. Like red nail polish. But it's the only word that comes to mind.












The light poured itself on rooftops, trickled down, past the sashed windows, down to the pavements and onto the streets. It splashed about people's feet, and soaked their skirts and skin. It slid down the canopies of the market stalls, and dripped down on blond heads and black. It covered the city with a sheer, blue-tinged stain. 










There was this deep sense of melancholia, interspersed with merry christmas lights. There's nothing more beautiful than a good contradiction.







It's the kind of light that makes lovers break up, and strangers fall in love. It's the kind of light that makes you rethink. Or lull you into thinking it's alright. It makes you smile without reason. Drink a glass of wine by the roadside. Buy flowers. Cry. Hold hands. Slow down. Dance. Write.







As we walked, this odd, beautiful light slowly changed. From blue to butter, and then to black.












I didn't have my camera. But I really wanted to share this with you, so I used the camera in my phone. It's not the best, but it's what I've got of the day. The photographs are in the order of our walk, so you can take the same walk we did.

Come.



































14 comments:

  1. Takes me back to my cambridge days. Sigh!
    have you been to a restaurant called ' rice boat'? I don't know if it's still standing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be retracing your path, Anita :) Brum, now Cambridge. 'Rice Boat' still does stand, and we are regulars. It's the only place for authentic Indian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holidays! red nail polish sounds very appropriate though I would have never thought of it. This is why I love the way you evoke thoughts. The alley lined up with bike makes me feel something.. unknown but familiar. I do not know what for I have never walked these streets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soma - i love how something unknown often seems oddly familiar. it makes you wonder a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love all the images...each one tells a story . the way you express your thoughts is great

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks shruti for such a lovely comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never have guessed it was your phone's camera. The ability really lies in the photographer, not the instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ lacaffettierarosa: thank you so much! i did enjoy the natural grittiness of these photographs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like Cam when the Xmas lights are on and it's getting towards dusk. Some very evocative images, and for me they remind me of mulled wine and cosiness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ thefastestindian: ah, a fellow cam blogger! how lovely :) thanks for dropping by, and welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The light is beautiful in a lot of those pictures. Made me feel slightly homesick looking at those! Emma :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean, Emma. Pictures of India - streets, food, anything - now have the same effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post! I love it when the light of the day inspires emotion. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To S@MakeHappyBlog: So glad you connected with the post. It was a special walk :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make this blog worth writing. Thank you.