Friday 4 July 2014

Edged in sideways - Sicily, Part II



Look how long this took.

A few weeks ago, on the Sicily post, I promised you Part Two. Between that promise and this post, life edged in sideways, the sneaky thing. But here it is. Part Two, slow-roasted like little Sicilian tomatoes. Tell me if you can taste it.


 .........


Sicily - a photo journal

I'll let the photographs do most of the talking this time, and I hope they'll tell you little secrets, show you little nooks, take you away for a while. Happy weekend, my friends!


The House

A cottage out of a fairytale, hidden in the wild Madonie mountains, in Northern Sicily. We spent weeks searching for the perfect place - away from everything, without a frill, rustic and simple. We wanted birdsong and walks in the woods, and not much else. That was what Casa Bianca was in a nutshell.



For more information on Casa Bianca, you can get in touch with the lovely Pamela here.


 .........




The Places

We loved the contrasts Northern Sicily threw up at every turn. I'm going to show you three places we loved. The old, cobbled alleys of Cefalu, a town tumbling into the Mediterranean. The fishing village of Scopello, with its glittering hamlet. Castelbuono, a beautiful commune hugging a medieval cathedral. And Palermo, a city I thought I wouldn't like, but which I loved. We went to Palermo on a Monday morning when many of its shops are shut; it gave us a chance to see a different side of the city. Unhurried; with daily lives being led, crumbling balconies holding the sun, couples sitting under giant banyan trees.






{Cefalu}







 
 {Scopello}









{Castelbuono}










{Palermo}





 .........


The Food

Nothing I say about Sicilian food can do it justice, but there are a few things that you can't leave the island without tasting.
Cannolo - a crisp tube of fried dough filled with sweet ricotta.
A no-fuss, grilled swordfish.
Spaghetti alle vongole - spaghetti with a simple tumble of clams.
Pasta alla norma - pasta with fried eggplant, ricotta salata, pine nuts, basil and garlic.
Pasta con le sarde - pasta with sardines, wild fennel, pine nuts, raisins and saffron.
Swordfish involtini.
Arancini.
The fish couscous, which made its way to Sicily from Northern Africa, and is a specialty in the Trapani area.
When in season, a pizza with artichokes, which I love.
And in between your meals: a cool, crunchy granita and glasses of fresh orange juice.





 .........


Cooking in Sicily

What can I say, I could go on with the food. So, before I go, I'll leave you with a meal we cooked at home, with fresh ingredients from the market, and ate sitting at the table outside our cottage, in the midst of magic Sicilian mountains.






 .........







14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... The food! It all looks stunning. You have inspired me to look into going very soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sicilian food is the stuff of poetry, Emma. Simple, beautiful and generous.
      Yes, you must go! xx

      Delete
  2. You have me daydreaming about Italy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what better place to be daydreaming about :) xx

      Delete
  3. this is where i want to go next. the photos are stunning. I am sold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with Sicily, Anita. All you have to do is land up; the island does the rest.

      Delete
  4. i can taste it all, Pia!!!
    AND, Swordfish involtini is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can! You must know the flavours so well :)
      I loved the swordfish involtini too!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, Pia. All of it--the landscapes, the food, your family. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pics. I could see Sicily through your eyes and taste all that food. :)

    You tempt me to travel to Sicily and taste at least the vegetarian part of all that glorious food. But that is not going to happen immediately, so I am going to daydream till I can, and armchair-travel using a Sicily-based book. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vegetarian food in Italy is just wonderful. Often better than anything else on the table.
      As for armchair-travel. It's what I do; when I am where I am :)

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed the photo journal - and the stunning pictures...i only see beautiful place & food - my soul is sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, soul place :) This was one place where I forgot to take photographs most of the time. So almost all of them are in this post!

      Delete

Your comments make this blog worth writing. Thank you.