Thursday 15 May 2014

Lived like that


Four days ago, they were the darkest pink. Tight knobs curled into themselves, not quite ready. We waited. And then they opened; they opened up. No holding back, no meekness, no concession to modesty. They were like five burlesque dancers in a quiet, curtained apartment. Everything else in our room faded.




They seem to know better than us that all you get is one show. The first show, the last show. One life and all that. They lived like that - even when they bleached away from that heated pink to the paleness of good paper. Even when they sagged like skin, and frayed like an old silk saree. God, they went with such grace! You dared not feel sorry.



I'm glad we saw them off before we left. Our bags are packed - we leave for our holiday soon. We're going to Sicily and a little cottage in the woods where all I want to do is Nothing. They tell me there's nothing like Sicily in the springtime.





I'm carrying one of my favourite books. And a sense of a place where volcanoes smoke, the Mediterranean sucks up the sky, and the sun sets like a crazy peony.










20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Pree, they were beautiful subjects :)

      Delete
  2. The peonies look lovely! :)

    Have a great vacation. Sicily sounds wonderful!

    The book looks interesting. Will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book takes you right there, to that town perched on the mountainside. You'll enjoy it :)

      Delete
  3. The paleness of good paper - what a beautiful simile. As someone who constantly 'tests' paper to find the one that goes with my fountain pen-manship just right, I know exactly what you mean.
    Have a wonderful holiday to Sicily, I shall wait to hear your (and Chotto- ma's) account of it here, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, nothing like a fountain pen - it can even make grocery lists look interesting! It's sad that there aren't too many takers for them any more.
      I'll meet you here with bits of Sicily, Roxana :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, Wonderful photographs and beautiful writing... I can read your blog forever and never get bored.. it is so nice to meet someone like you here...wishing you a wonderful vacation in Sicily...take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - for reading what I write, and for such a beautiful note. I'm very touched :)

      Delete
  5. I read this first thing this morning, and what a lovely start to the day it was too! Have a wonderful wonderful holiday, can't wait to see your amazing pictures from it (I know you said you would do nothing, but please take your camera!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, thanks for starting your day here :)
      The camera comes along - I just hope I can do Sicily justice.

      Delete
  6. A life well lived, and a life well documented. :)

    Happy vacationing!

    Simi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful imagery there, Pia. Have a wonderful, relaxing holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Relaxing' - that's it, that all I need it to be. Thanks Leela :)

      Delete
  8. amelia from ztastylife16 May 2014 at 19:24

    Pia: Sicily is one of my favorite places in my home country....excellent choice. Your writing is lovely, I very much like how you notice the little things. Buon viaggio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, thanks so much for your kind words.
      Yes, we're going to a place you must know so well. I'm looking forward to the quiet, and THE FOOD!
      So happy to have you here :) x

      Delete
  9. such a beautiful post. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and graceful peonies. And Sicily! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make this blog worth writing. Thank you.